The City of Chandler Law Department is currently seeking qualified individuals to fill the full-time position of ASSISTANT CITY ATTORNEY. This is an unclassified position which serves at the pleasure of the City Attorney
We have a unique opportunity for a seasoned municipal attorney to provide professional advice and counsel to City Departments on legal issues. We are seeking an experienced professional with a background in Arizona municipal, county or special district law. Experience in advising public entity clients about Title 34 construction contracts, procurement, public records, open meeting, and other types of contractual relationships including development agreements and intergovernmental agreements. Must have some experience in Title 34 construction contracts.
Essential Functions (list is not exhaustive):
• May concentrate duties in a specialized area for the Law Department such as civil litigation, City Code amendments; Transportation and Development contracts, forms, procedures and disputes; encroachment permits and the use of the City's rights of way and easements; property acquisitions; land use; public housing; Police Department issues; employment/labor law; environmental issues; water and wastewater; franchises; and City departmental contracts, forms and disputes;
• Attends various meetings, including City Council meetings, boards, commissions, and committees and provides advice and legal interpretation;
• Researches legal precedents, recently decided case law, federal laws, state statutes, state and federal regulations and City ordinances;
• Prepares, reviews, and negotiates contracts, intergovernmental agreements, development agreements, memorandum of understanding, resolutions, leases, motions, ordinances, regulations and related documents;
• Negotiates and represents the City during discussions with third parties and regulatory agencies on a wide variety of agreements, settlements, rules and enforcement actions taken by or against the City including water rights and environmental litigation;
• Negotiates and drafts agreements regarding domestic water delivery, water transportation, reclaimed water sale and exchange, use of wells, and related issues; • Provides advice on public records laws and open meeting laws;
• Responds to citizen inquiries and complaints regarding legal matters; reviews and supervises the investigation of the complaints; and recommends resolutions to complaints.
• Graduation from a School of Law accredited by the American Bar Association with a Juris Doctorate Degree; • License to practice law in the State of Arizona in the United States District Court for the State of Arizona and the United States Circuit Court of Appeals; and
• Eight (8) years' experience in the practice of law, including in Title 34 construction contract, municipal law, or related area;
• Membership in good standing in the Arizona State Bar Association;
• Experience with motion practice, jury and non-jury trials; or • Any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the knowledge and abilities necessary to perform the work.
• Title 34 construction contract experience.
This position is an at will, regular full-time position. A register of qualified candidates will be active for four (4) months should another position become available.
The City of Chandler fingerprints all applicants selected for hire to evaluate the fitness of prospective employees. The examination process may vary if determined necessary.
The City of Chandler is committed to Equal Opportunity & Reasonable Accommodation.
Internal Number: 1800175
About City of Chandler
The City of Chandler, one of Arizona's first master-planned cities, is located in the southeast part of the Phoenix metro area and has a current population of approximately 250,000 with an estimated population of 299,000 at its planned build-out. Called the "Silicon Desert" because of its wide variety of high technology industries, the City has developed good relationships with the business community and Chamber of Commerce and has a very strong job base.