Cadets are expected to seek out opportunities aboard for growth and development aboard the vessel and to be proactive in their approach to operations.
The Deck Cadet will learn and perform the duties and responsibilities of the Deck Officer in a safe and professional manner and in accordance with all applicable rules and regulations. Cadets will focus on safety issues related to the working environment of the ship, watch keeping duties and routines, familiarization of seamanship, cargo, and navigational duties under supervision of a licensed deck officer to become eligible for U.S. Coast Guard license and position as Third Mate – Unlimited Tonnage.
Deck Cadets will also become familiar with matters of administration and organization within the deck department and on the vessel as a whole.
The Deck Cadet will stand navigation and cargo watches to learn watch requirements and routines as well as participate in mooring operations, cargo hose connection operations, and tank cleaning operations as directed by the Chief Mate.
The Deck Cadet will also perform maintenance as directed by department head.
Key Job Responsibilities for this position may include but are not limited to:
- Participate in company programs such as Behavior Based Safety (BBS), Near Miss Reporting, Job Safety Analysis (JSA), Safety and Environmental Management System (SEMS), Mariner Development System (MDS), and any other onboard training and compliance programs
- Proactively engage the officers and crew aboard to take part in any evolution which will benefit professional knowledge and development
- Perform all cargo and navigational duties aboard ship under supervision of a licensed deck officer
- Gain a thorough knowledge of the basic aspects of seamanship, navigation, bridge equipment, maintenance, safety equipment, the various systems onboard (lines, pumps, cranes, winches etc.), cargo control room systems, mooring operations, basic stability, etc.
- Stand bridge and cargo watches to learn watch requirements and routine as well as participate in mooring operations and cargo hose connection operations as directed by the Chief Mate
- Perform maintenance as directed