Reports to: Executive Director
The Operations Director/Manager has responsibility for the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana’s food distribution operations: ensuring the safe and sanitary receiving and storage of all products, managing the smooth and efficient distribution of food, keeping accurate and timely records, maintaining good relationships with client agencies and volunteers, supervising operations staff, managing equipment, fleet, and facility maintenance.
ESSENTAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Manage all aspects of the storage and distribution of food; Management of fleet and warehouse equipment.
- Collaborate with Food Sourcing staff to ensure the smooth, efficient operation of Food Bank of Northwest Indiana’s food acquisition and distribution process.
- Provide leadership to new program initiatives focused on increasing distribution of product to participating agencies and programs.
- Ensure compliance with all applicable Feeding America, OSHA, AIB, and government regulations and health codes.
- Provide oversight for the maintenance of the equipment - including truck preventive maintenance.
- Research and make recommendations to supervisor concerning leases, major purchase agreements, and contracts.
- Serve as the lead for the Food Bank of Northwest Indiana’s internal food safety committee.
Develop and create an effective inventory control program
- Ensure that complete and accurate records are maintained of products received and distributed, including donated food and food from government programs.
- Ensure that inventory cycle counts occur weekly and that a full physical inventory is conducted quarterly. Promptly notify supervisor of any significant discrepancies.
- Implement additional inventory control measures as necessary and appropriate.
- Work with the development team to ensure that all donor reporting and requirements are met.
Develop, implement, and manage a cost-effective and efficient system of transportation of food donations
- Ensure compliance with all applicable trucking laws, regulations, and requirements.
- Provide for a dispatch and routing system to maximize efficiency of food pick-up and delivery.
- Work with the Food Sourcing Manager to identify and utilize donated transportation.
- Ensure that donor pick-ups are timely and accommodate donor needs.
- Maximize involvement of volunteers and client agencies picking up food directly.
Effective Personnel Management
- Provide supervision, including regular supervision meetings, training, and evaluation to the Operations staff.
- Create a daily schedule for Operations team, including drivers and warehouse staff.
- Ensure that disciplinary actions of or related to Operations staff positions are reported to the Director of Business Administration in a timely manner.
- Provide clear, concise instruction to Operations staff, including regular communication of staff expectations. Hold staff accountable for assigned task, duties, and projects.
Administrative Tasks and Duties
- Ensure Operations staff complete and submit appropriate paperwork and receipts on time and in accordance with organization policies and procedures.
- Participate in the development and management of the annual operating budget.
- Provide timely and accurate reports to the Executive Director and Board of Directors as required.
- Responsible for inventory control software management and operations.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director.